Sunday, July 31, 2016

The Fair 2016

The Fair is an annual event that is always much anticipated for Austin's family and mine. Once upon a time, I got SUPER excited about the fair. I spent my fair days sleeping and the nights a lot like this..
I didn't even realize that life went on outside of the Neshoba County Fairgrounds. Something about being at the fairgrounds makes you forget that real life is happening out there. I guess that is what so many people love about it.

The first time I ever missed any part of the fair was back in my college years whenever I was taking a summer class at MSU.  I thought it was the end of the world that I missed Fri-DAY and made it in on Friday night.  From what I remember, I skipped the majority of the next week.
I think we took these pictures after my Friday evening arrival during the Fair of 2011.

Since then, I obviously enjoy the fair, but I also semi-participate in life outside the gate. Last year, the fair was a little off for me and Austin because we were doing what we could to help get our house ready by September 19th (our wedding day) and.... priorities.  Last year's fair looked a lot like this...
We were both really excited to have some time off this year to enjoy the fair and spend uninterrupted time with the people we love.  On Friday night, we took family pictures at the Byrd's. I took the opportunity to get a few pictures of me and Austin.


Friday after our picture, Ally Byrd wanted to walk with me and Austin down to the rodeo, and that she did.  Afterwards, we took her to the camper to visit with my family, back to the midway to Allen and Jamie to ride and play games, and we rounded out the night with a short visit to the pavilion where Southbound was playing. The next morning, Tiffany asked her if she danced and she said, "I was almost about to fall asleep."


I went to the flea market with the Dowell's on Saturday, and took no pictures.  #bloggerfail
Mattie Kate walked with me and Austin to the rodeo on Saturday night and we laid low since we were planning to make it to Sunday School on Sunday.  By laid low, I mean we went to bed at midnight. On Sunday, we came home for Sunday School and church and spent Sunday night at home. Bandit and Daisy were super excited to see us.  They have my heart!


Austin and I both worked on Monday, and went back to the fairgrounds Monday afternoon.  We kidnapped Joy and took her to the camper for a little while.
Mattie went to the pageant with me, and afterwards we hit the midway.  We found Ally Byrd and they had a lot of fun! After we left Ally, I bought some tickets and rode with Mattie until the SeaRay made me sick.  There is a first time for everything!  After I got nauseated, she did the trampoline, picked up some ducks and we called it a night!

We worked again on Tuesday and made it back in time to hear Donald Trump, Jr speak at the grandstand.  It was HOT.


These two formed a sweet little friendship.  Instead of Mattie Kate, Ally says Mattie Cake and it is the cutest!  On Tuesday night, we found ourselves back on the Midway!  Austin wanted Mattie to ride with him on the bumper cars, but she refused.


We enjoyed the rest of the week off from work. We stayed up late, played cards on the porch, danced at the pavilion, watched the horse races and went to see Jana Kramer and the Charlie Daniels Band.  As we were watching the fireworks on the last Friday night, I got in my feelings about what a special place the fair is for so many people.  With all of the bad stuff going on in the world, it's nice to just escape to a place like the fairgrounds where life slows down and everybody spends time with the ones they love. The Fair is different than it once was for me, but I think I'll always love the tradition. I'm thankful for the memories I've made on the fairgrounds, new and old.  Until next year!







2 comments:

  1. Another awesome story Lacy! I love your blog! :-) I hope you all have a great week!

    ReplyDelete