Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Bandit & Daisy

Back in November, my daddy's squirrel dog, Gabby, gave birth to five puppies. They're half fiest and half Austrailian shepherd- some would say mutts. Gabby isn't your typical squirrel dog.  Here is the queen herself...

I am not all about newborn animals, but as the puppies got bigger and cuter, Austin and I discussed the possibility of making one our own! We threw the idea of a pet back and forth and started making plans to get one. I remember sending Austin a random message while I was at work one day that said, "Could I possibly talk you into getting two dogs?"  He responded, "We'll see."  Since he didn't respond with a "no way", I knew then we would get two dogs.  I thought it would be a good idea to have two so that they could entertain each other, and I didn't feel so obligated to entertain one.  Animals need friends, too.

Austin went ahead and got a pen setup for them in the backyard, and we went on the afternoon of January 31st to pick them out.  I knew I wanted the long haired one because I thought he was the cutest.  I had already named him Bandit.  I liked the sound of Bandit Byrd.  Austin just randomly took a pick & we didn't name Daisy until we had gotten her home. 

Our first family photo in the driveway after we picked them out. 
Their first picture at their new home.

We grew to love them rather quickly.  At first, they stayed in the pen a lot.  I would get up super early to let them out in the mornings, stay outside and play with them for a little while, put them back up and then get ready for work.  I was scared to let them stay outside alone because I didn't want their tiny selves to get in the road.  Keep in mind, we don't really have traffic where we live.  If two cars passed in one morning, that would be busy.  #overprotectivemom 

After I realized they weren't going to die if I left them out alone, we moved onto letting them out to play by themselves while I got ready for work.  After I was ready, I would come outside and race to the pen in hopes that they wouldn't jump all over me.  They would usually follow me right into the pen, then I would hop out real quick and lock them up.  They would get back out for awhile when we got home from work.

One morning I was either running late or it was raining, and Mama Jim texted me and told me she would put the dogs up after I left.  She did that for a few days, and it became our routine.  This went on for awhile and it got to where she wouldn't put them in their pen until later in the afternoon.  Lucky dogs!


Eventually, we started letting them out when we get up and putting them in the pen when we go to bed.  So now they sleep in their pen, and that's about it.  They have a good little routine.  Austin usually leaves before me in the mornings, and whenever I leave (most of the time before I leave), they head up the hill to Mama Jim and Daddy Jim's house.  They don't come home until we get home from work.  One of my favorite parts of the day is watching them fly down the hill after I pull in at home in the evenings.  I especially love when they catch air jumping the ditch between Mama Jim's house and ours.  It is the cutest!

I know they get a lot of love even when we aren't home.  Austin jokes that they go to Mama Jim's to get a biscuit for breakfast after we leave.  They help Daddy Jim build fence and count cows.  I think they love the country life! 

They really are the sweetest, and we love them BIG!  Austin and I are constantly narrating their lives. I'm pretty sure we know what they would say if they could talk.  Just yesterday, I was going to take them on a 4-wheeler ride, and I couldn't get the 4 wheeler to crank.  Austin saw what was going on from a distance because he was on the tractor in the pasture. When he got home he said, "Bandit said to tell you that he is pissed because you couldn't get the 4-wheeler to crank." 

Sometimes we leave them out of their pen at night when it's raining and they sleep on the rug at the back door.  One time this happened, and we stood at the back door looking out the window at them for some 5 minutes.  We were just watching them sleep.  It was in that moment that I realized we were really crazy about these two fur babies. 

They are each so different in their own little ways.  Daisy is timid and she always thinks she is in trouble with Austin.  She tinkles whenever he gets onto her or whenever she hasn't seen us in awhile and she's excited.  She lays on her back constantly because she wants her tummy scratched, and she will paw at you to get your attention. She is needy.
Bandit really loves life!  He is so lovable and loves to lick my face!  He could care less about fetch and always lets Daisy do the work.  He will run straight into the pen at night while his sister rolls over on her back being defiant. He is also better at "shaking" than Daisy Mae.

We have so much fun with Bandit Boo and Daisy Mae and I hope I'm posting about them for a long time to come!








No comments:

Post a Comment