Saturday, August 27, 2016

Jackson Hole- Part 1

We flew into the Jackson (MS) airport around 9:00 last night and I have spent the day unpacking our stuff, reading a book I started on the trip and sitting in the recliner catching up on Bachelor in Paradise!  I am TIRED!  I explained to Austin the difference in a vacation and a trip whenever we were gone.  On a vacation, you relax, sleep late, and get rejuvenated!  On a trip, you see everything you came to see, take in the destination and explore!  Lets just say we went on a trip.  No rest for the weary.  The next time we leave Leake county, it will be for a vacation, per Austin's request.

Straight talk- the trip started out really bad.  We debated taking our vehicle to the airport or my parents dropping us off and coming back to get us. We decided to save the $$ it would cost to leave our vehicle at the airport and take advantage of the convenience of someone just dropping you off at the front door.  Austin drives to Jackson everyday, and he thought leaving my parents' house at 6:00am Monday morning would get us to the airport in plenty of time for our 8:15am flight.

Monday morning rolled around, and we had no problem getting up. I packed some last minute things and found myself still drying my hair whenever we needed to be leaving.  Drying my hair put us 10 minutes late getting to my parents' house.  So we left Edinburg at 6:10am.  Still plenty of time to get to the airport, right?!  Side note-- I had just gotten a short hair cut a few days prior or I would have totally been okay with leaving home with a wet head.  A few miles down the road, we realized that I had left my camera's zoom lense behind.  It was at mom's because I never got it whenever I moved out.  We turned around to go get it.  That delayed us another (almost) 10 minutes. This is the point where I can blame being late on someone else!  If we didn't have time, why did they let me suggest we turn around for a camera lense?! My daddy was driving and he thought it would be faster to go through Forest and try to miss the 8:00 traffic on Lakeland Drive.  Long story short, road construction and an insane amount of traffic backed up caused us to get to the airport at 7:55-only 20 minutes before our flight left.  I was SICK whenever I realized the reality of the situation!  I had booked the trip through Expedia, and I really wasn't sure that our credit for the flight would transfer because the flight was non-refundable.

We jumped out of the vehicle in a hurry and got to the front desk.  (I was super relieved we had someone dropping us off at this point.)  I told the lady behind the desk that our flight was at 8:15 and asked if we were going to make it.  Without hesitation, she said "no mam."  Heart sank.  Since I had checked-in online, we heard them giving a last call for us over the speakers.  Obviously, we could have made it on board if we had not had a bag to check.  They quickly gave us the option of taking a flight at 4:00 that afternoon out of Jackson (MS). I was super thankful that we would still make it to Jackson Hole that day, but pretty bummed that we would be arriving at 10:00pm instead of 1:00pm. We took our new boarding passes and headed outside to call my mom.

My parents had already told us they were going to stay close by because they knew there was a pretty big possibility of us missing the flight.  I called mom and they circled back around to pick us up at the front door.  I am really glad my parents were with us.  If they hadn't been, I'm scared  Austin and I would have killed each other!  We were really frustrated, disappointed, etc but at the same time, trying to laugh it off!

After leaving the airport, we went to Chick-Fil-A and got breakfast.  We obviously had plenty of time to spare.  We made a return to Belk for mom and went to the Wildlife and Fisheries building for my daddy.  In the meantime, I was booking a rental car and the scenic float trip for the next morning since there would be no time to spare once we got there. After walking around Bass Pro and getting lunch at Applebees, they dropped us back off at the airport in more than enough time to catch our flight.  I'm pretty sure we will never be late for another flight, good Lord willing. ** I would like to take this time to thank my parents for always having my back and spending practically their entire day in Jackson hanging out with me and Austin.

Pictured is airport drop off, Take 2.  There were no time for pictures on the first go round.
To be continued... 

No comments:

Post a Comment